How many religions are there in the world
What religions are most widely practiced in the world?
According to Adherents there are some 4,300 religions of the world, Adherents is an independent, non-religiously affiliated organisation that monitors the size and number of the world’s religions.
Side stepping is the issue of what constitutes a religion, Adherents divides religions into churches, Congregations, denominations, religious bodies, faith groups, Cultures, tribes and movements. All are of varying the influence and size.
Approximately 75% of the world’s population that is living in different countries and areas of the world practices one of the 5 most influential religions of the world: Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism and Judaism.
Islam and Christianity are the 2 religions most widely spread across the whole world. These 2 religions together cover the religious affiliation of more than half of the whole world’s population in short more than population of the world are Muslim and Christian. If rest of the whole world people that are non-religious formed a single religion, it would be the world’s 3rd largest religion in the world.
Among those in English speaking countries one of the most widely-held myths is that Islamic believers are Arabs. In fact, most Muslim and Islamic community do not live in the Arabic nations of the Middle East.
The world’s Twenty largest religions and their number of believers are as under:
- Christianity (2.1 billion) believers
- Islam (1.3 billion) believers
- Nonreligious (Secular/Agnostic/Atheist) (1.1 billion) believers
- Hinduism (900 million)believers
- Chinese traditional religion (394 million)believers
- Buddhism (376 million) believers
- Primal-indigenous (300 million) believers
- African traditional and Diasporic (100 million believers)
- Sikhism (23 million)believers
- Juche (19 million)believers
- Spiritism (15 million)believers
- Judaism (14 million)believers
- Bahai (7 million)believers
- Jainism (4.2 million)believers
- Shinto (4 million)believers
- Cao Dai (4 million)believers
- Zoroastrianism (2.6 million)believers
- Tenrikyo (2 million)believers
- Neo-Paganism (1 million)believers
- Unitarian-Universalism (800,000)believers
Are there more human religions or more human languages in the world?
Languages: There are some 4300 religions all over the world compared with 6800 living languages spoken somewhere in all over the world.